Sunday, May 15, 2011

Recent projects

A few weeks ago I had Tim's dad come over and we went to rent a sod cutter to get the area ready for my garden. I'm determined to have a garden this year. No- I don't have any experience. Luckily Tim does, but he's been so busy lately that I've had to do a lot of the work on my own. Anyways we got the sod up and YES I got to use the machine. It was actually pretty easy. Then came the long process of actually pulling the sod up cause the grass wasn't really solid in that area so it came up in pieces, sometimes quite small pieces. Then you had to bang the dirt off and the weather didn't cooperate like I wish it would have so the dirt was still wet for 1/2 of it. Oh well... I probably spent about 5 hours on my hands and knees doing that... major back pains after that for a few days, but it's done now- yay!!! The sod that I pulled up filled 3 wheel barrow loads! And then I had Tim rototill the garden area up for me. Our next step is to wrap the boards on the side there w/ plastic (prevents chemicals from boards from leaking into soil) and then lining the garden w/ the boards. Then top soil and we're ready to plant yay!! Next on our list this summer is replacing the outdoor carpet on our back and front porches. There were 2 layers of carpet and then tons of scraping, but luckily my fabulous hubbie did all that. I got to remove the quarter round. I'll have to post pics when he's able to get the carpet on. Darn weather needs to cooperate.

Then this summer we've also decided to try to start on a garage too... I know it's a huge project! Well we needed to get a survey of a property to find out our exact property lines to plan... Anyone ever had to get a survey before?!! So I started calling around for an estimate and I'm thinking a couple hundred dollars... my estimates ranged from $1500-$2200!!!!! I'm seriously not joking there!! Ugh it was because a survey hadn't been done in our area in a LONG time... well sorry contractors, but that still doesn't make it any easier on my checkbook. Well of course we went w/ the $1500 guy- duh!! Still seriously not happy about that price and it sure takes a big chunk out of our garage fund. So just had that finished this last friday... read on the next blog to see how it almost ruined my night...

No comments: