Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Finishing projects

I've decided that I really need to finish some of my projects lately. The weather is starting to get nicer, which means that I can finally resume my painting outside soon here- yay! That is when Tim can help, lol, since some of the furniture is a big heavy. So I really need to finish other unfinished things before I start the painting again.

 This is the before picture.


And ta-da the after picture













Anyways I fell in love with this rocking chair when I saw it last year and got it for a steal of $10! It was in need of some serious tlc, which I gladly gave it. I'm pretty proud of it because of all the work I did on it. Last year I sanded, primed, painted, and clear coated it and it's been sitting in my basement waiting for me to get the energy and inspiration to finish. The seat cushion was ICKY and when I tore it off it was even ickier inside. Once I got it cleaned up enough to recover it took some serious thinking on my part because I'd never done anything like that before. I ended up sticking a piece of foam and then a layer of batting over the springs and then covering with the fabric that I finally found. I've been going to the fabric stores off and on for the past 6 months looking for fabric for some of my various undone projects so I was super happy to finally find something I was ok with and liked enough. The seat cushion was the easy part in my opinion. This chair never came with a back cushion, but it desperately needed it because it was just plain uncomfortable. This was super tricky for me. I decided to use another piece of foam and cut it out into the shape I wanted. Then I had to attempt to make a pattern to sew a cover for it. I may have a sewing machine, but I'm not very talented in using it at all. So it's all covered now and done! The back cushion fabric doesn't fit quite right, it's not perfect, but it's something that I did all by myself and I'm proud of myself for seeing it through!

1 comment:

The Brown's Sanitarium said...

The chair looks amazing! Great job, you should be proud of yourself.